FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - PE ending out of YVR
View Single Post
Old Dec 12, 2019, 11:43 am
coolfish1103

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
EVA has been struggling on YVR. The premium demand is simply not there. BR couldn't even fill the cabin when it was 5 weekly (before CI dropped the 2 additional frequencies to give them 7 weekly) and it's not a profitable market for them with AC in market. AC has also reduced frequencies during off peak months to just 5 weekly.

CAL used to operate this route with 343 and 744 and even with those outdated aircraft EVA couldn't manage to get a higher loading (that's before AC even stepped in). At one time before CAL retired it's 744, CAL sold 12 F as Business and 49 J as Premium Economy. That was a big hit to EVA's market share as their Royal Laurel cannot compare to the old First and Elite Class was a long shot against a decent regional Business seat.

Right now CAL operates YVR with 359 and it seems like an okay fit for the market with 32 Business and 31 Premium Economy seats. The 789 might be here to counter CI's Business product, but I am unsure if passengers prefer reversed herringbone seats or straight forward ones. CAL will likely be able to capture all the Premium Economy market here.

Originally Posted by dav662
As someone who regularly fly BR out of YYZ, I hope they don't change it out of YYZ. The PE out of YYZ, certainly on the day's I fly were always full. If they stop PE I guess I will also have to look for a * airline that flies to BKK or MNL that has PE.
They don't have the number of aircraft available to replace. With only four 789 is not going anywhere near Toronto. Plus Toronto has premium demand with no direct competition to TPE.