FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chasing Cheap Michelin Stars in Tokyo - JAL Business and First Class
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:49 pm
chongl

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Checking in

Nobody in the dedicated security line

Duty free yielded no bottles of whisky at T2, so to the newly remodeled lounge we went

Dining area

Afuri ramen...I liked the slight zest from the yuzu in this bowl

Sushi offerings

Some of the other food available

With a little time to spare, I went downstairs to the bar to get a pour of Blender's Choice

I polished off the glass, and it was off to gate 61 for flight JL62. Once I was actually on the plane, my worries of getting screwed somehow began to subside

Middle seats for wife and son in row 1

The menu that I had already perused online

I thoroughly enjoyed the Salon 2007 prior to takeoff. I was 2G, and to my right I met a fellow AV enthusiast on his way around the world, or rather finishing his trip through FRA, BKK, NRT, and LAX. He was on his way home as well, and we shared a few stories of our travels. Awesome guy to chat with who shared many of the same interests, so it was great to connect. Once the flight took off, the wife and I put our toddler to sleep and were able to enjoy dinner together

Queen of Blue tea

and more Salon!

I opted for the Japanese meal again, and although not a fair comparison of the J version ex-LAX versus F version ex-NRT, this meal was downright amazing and is one of the better culinary experiences I've had in the air

Eating the pregnant wife's caviar

Wife's chicken entree

My main

Lovely dessert to finish it all off

I retired to my seat and had my bed made with the harder padding to get in a few hours of sleep. The cabin was a comfortable temperature this time, and the new PJs that JAL has are extremely comfortable. My Emirates PJs used to be the clear favorite, but I think that these JL ones have taken the crown

Waking up off the west coast

I did sort of get a taste of Tsuta after all with them being on the JAL snack menu, but I'll still make the trek to the new shop next time we're around

Upon landing, my new travel acquaintance mentioned that we had an amazing toddler who slept most of the way and stayed nice and quiet. He theorized that starting them early allows them to adapt better to traveling, and I wholeheartedly agree. An older gentleman in 1G who initially had an apprehensive look at the beginning of the flight also looked over at my son and smiled after seeing that he wasn't a bother. All in all, another great flight for mini-ChongL, and another flight in F that he won't remember. We were eager to disembark with all the tea gone (I had the final pour), and we were finally home. Once off the plane, we passed through a mostly empty border entry, and then stayed to complete our Global Entry renewal interviews before heading home sweet home. Thanks for reading!