FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IRROPS allowed me to change final destination.
Old Dec 10, 19, 1:55 pm
BuffaloBills10

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum
IRROPS allowed me to change final destination.

So travelling today BNA-TUS when the plane in BNA has issues with the deicing process and ends up leaving an hour or so late. I proceed to miss my flight in ATL only to find out that the next available flight to TUS is at 7:59 PM and we have arrived in ATL around 10:30 AM.

As I don't want to wait around ATL for 10 or so hours I look for outgoing flights to PHX and ELP as those seem to be the most logical alternative destinations to fly into to get to where I need to go. I decide that PHX is the best option and start doing my homework on flights.

At this point, I am anticipating getting to the help desk and being asked to pay a change fee and a fare difference in order to accommodate my change. To my surprise, the DL representative gets me on a flight free to PHX with no questions asked and I am on my way.

I am not usually in a situation where I need to make a Same Day Change to a different final destination and I can't seem find any definite answer on why I was allowed to make this change for free. What are the parameters of what is allowed and what isn't allowed free of charge? I am a PM so is it something to do with my status? Is this decision one that is arbitrarily made by the individual working the SkyPriority desk? Are you allowed to make same day changes to other destinations inside a certain radius of your original city? If so, is this only allowed if there is a delay or can you do it anytime?

Appreciate any insight into this as it may help me with my flexibility if I run into future issues and delays down the road.