FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - White Island (NZ) volcano erupts
View Single Post
Old Dec 10, 2019, 8:19 am
FlyerfromORD

i posted this in the Cruise forum.

"I am just back from the region. I researched this tour - not off a cruise line, but as a highly touted day tour excursion for all travelers. The White Island Tour company's website indicated that participants are given hard hats - presumably as emissions of rock and ash are possible. I decided this and several other subtle comments indicated that the our was beyond typical "adventure travel". I put it into the "you've got to be crazy" category and took a pass. Obviously not an over cautious assessment.
I do feel for those involved, I don't mean to take a "blame the victim" approach. Perhaps a little more info might have stopped some from joining the tour. Travelers do ultimately have to take responsibility for their decisions, but tour companies also need to be forthcoming on full risks. (I say this as one who just a couple weeks ago in New Zealand decided that the guided hiking tour I was on was above my abilities and I happily and prudently bowed out. It was not possible to ascertain the technical demands from the promotional material.)"