FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}
Old Dec 9, 2019, 9:11 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmw303
how do you know you are #2 and #3 ? The list can be cleared at any time.
Now that upgrade lists are visible in advance, many people are adjusting the date on their mobile device and then using the United app to get a peek at the waitlist.

My concern is that it's fool's gold; for one thing, because it's been so buggy since they introduced this feature that I don't trust it, but also because a new, higher-priority request could come in at any time. On a GS instrument, OP has a better-than-average chance of staying near the top of the list, because non-GS instruments will slot in behind them. However, nearly half of the seats are taken a month prior to travel, it's a Friday flight, and UA thinks they don't need to discount very much: it's J9 C9 D9 Z0. That suggests a late clearance, if at all.

Originally Posted by findark
Nothing about upgrades seems to be working quite right at the moment, but no, clearing into PE is not supposed to remove you from the J list the way it may on other carriers. You can confirm into PE while remaining listed for J.
Correct; as a corollary, OP will not be on a "newly-minted PP fare," implying any priority over someone on an Economy ticket that hadn't been moved to PP yet.