FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
View Single Post
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:35 pm
schriste

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
I am also staying here now. Spent the night and will be leaving today. I came to Japan to ride a bunch of branch line railways scattered around the country that are threatened with possible closure. My wife had no interest in that, so I am here by myself... which I think colors my perspective. For example I’d probably enjoy wondering around all the tourist shops in this touristy neighborhood far more if my wife were here.

As for the hotel, I am thoroughly enjoying my stay and appreciate all the fine attention to detail and craftsmanship that went into this hotel. It is a nice break from my railway adventures. But like many high end Ryokans I have stayed in, even though I totally enjoyed them, once might be enough for the PHK. Note that I could spend two weeks every year for the rest of my life in a Park Suite at the PH Tokyo.

As I briefly mentioned in a previous post I had no issue checking in at 2:30pm. So far a very relaxing stay and I slept very well last night on the firm yet comfortable bed. Some nice touches in the room include the portable Bose Bluetooth speaker, motorized sheers and blackout curtain, and sliding glass door with screen to my "little garden". Very peaceful and tranquil. The yukata and slippers even match.

There are unfortunately a few things that have annoyed me too. First, all of this wood everywhere (even the ceiling) and also out in the corridors is beautiful to look at, but it is also an acoustic problem. I could clearly here “housekeeping, housekeeping, knock, knock” as the turndown staff made their way down the hall (and they were not all that loud, the sound just carried). If you happened to have a family group staying in a couple of rooms and the kids kept running from room to room (which has happened more often than I care to remember) it would be terrible (not sure how likely that would be here). Excluding these situations, the room "at rest" is exceptionally quiet.

Second is the room lighting. It is basically all on or all off. Absolutely nothing is dimmable (a first for a Park Hyatt???). There is a relax mode which turns off the wall sconces and the bedside “lantern” has an on/off switch. I’m still wondering if I somehow overlooked a master control panel somewhere.

but enough yammering... here are some photos of room 305. Note: This was a points stay without any status, but it looks like I still received a modest upgrade.

The 3rd floor positioning corridor to my room

Guest room corridor is pretty, but it is an echo chamber. Contrast this to the Park Hyatt Paris that has padded walls to absorb sound.

Entry door from outside

Double vanity

Very spacious wet room, but no dimmable lighting for a relaxing bath. Either bright or dark. Bring candles I guess.

Shower in wet room. Both rain shower and wall/hand held. For Rest of world great shower pressure, but just average for Japan.

The Malaysian imposter!

Entry area and mini bar

Seating area. Long side of room has the windows ... nice

Garden

Comfortable

Last edited by schriste; Jan 8, 2020 at 2:37 pm