FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA - CAN-HKG-EWR - 11hr layover in HKG question
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:28 pm
npei

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Originally Posted by elg26
Kacee - great. What would happen with my luggage? Im booking the ticket through United...... CAN_HKG_EWR..... so my luggage would go right through? So I am essentially leaving my checked luggage at the airport over night?

Yes there are easier ways to get to HK from CAN.... the difference in fare doing CAN-HKG-EWR vs HKG-EWR is quite large....much less expensive with the CAN leg added... and I can enjoy the HKG_EWR in J at a discount...
Originally Posted by Kacee
The airport has been 100% fine since the problems the first weeks of the protest. I've been through four times since and wouldn't sweat it.

I did stay at SkyCity when I had an overnight to avoid potential transit problems.
Originally Posted by elg26
Thanks...I was just there in October..... shouldnt be an issue at airport anymore....they have taken steps with security preventing issues anymore at airport. Im probably only going to the Skycity Marriott to sleep anyway which is right next to the airport
I have been to Hkg 6 times since June. Was there just this weekend.
Hkg airport and vicinity is very calm. Protests are in city area now because there are checks to ensure people heading to Hkg on metro have departure tickets or airport worker ID. Protesters do not bother foreigners, whether Lao-wai or Chinese ethnicity. If you speak Mandarin, but want-need to interact with locals, start with English, then can switch to Mandarin if some of the locals don’t understand you. This minimizes friction with many locals who are anti-Mainlanders that only speak Mandarin with heavy Beijing accent.

Last edited by npei; Dec 9, 2019 at 2:00 pm