FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WT Hand Baggage Fare Seat Selection Con?
View Single Post
Old Dec 8, 19, 10:37 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Oil-man View Post
In the end, the flight itself was less than half full in economy, and I snagged a whole row of 4 in the middle to myself (poor mans business class!).

This left a sour taste in my mouth. The way the seat selection was presented by BA was a con in my opinion, with the only objective to get people into parting with their hard earned cash unnecessarily.
Given your status you should have got free seat selection, but from what I've been told it's rare for people to book Basic fares and pay for seat selection - the point of these fares is essentially to save money. BA offer seats for a fee (to those without status on restricted tickets) but to some extent they don't push it - at least compared to those airlines that send out nag notifications and emails.

However luckily there is Flyertalk and we have an existing thread in this forum where people can check how busy their flight is. ExpertFlyer gives a more accurate view than the seat plan on BA.com

Help to check BA seat availability and BA flight loads