FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need coach class receipt for reimbursement
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:28 pm
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Centurion
America West or US Air made this very easy long ago prior to American Airlines. They sold a Yup fare that was really a First Class Ticket that booked immediately into First Class and your receipt had the Y in the fare bucket letter receipt. They obviously created this fare for employees like the OP. Does anyone know why this was discontinued?
Originally Posted by formeraa
Don't know why it was discontinued, but Northwest used to have Yup fares as well. I used to get them for business travel occasionally when it was booked at the last minute. It may have been a competitive tool for the smaller airlines at the time...I know I booked Northwest and UsAirways several times because of it.
These were essentially full fare coach tickets that tended to be more expensive than necessary. Most employers wouldn't appreciate having an employee select such a ticket when cheaper coach fares were available on exactly the same flights.

Similarly, upfaring can convert a refundable ticket to one that isn't; doing this might violate the employer's travel policy.