FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Weird experience regarding bumping after irrop
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:06 am
zig2

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Weird experience regarding bumping after irrop

Yesterday I should be on AS1024 but the flight was heavily delayed so I called to ask for alternatives. The immediate AS flight after it was full, so I was put on DL249 instead.

I got the boarding pass and a seat number at the gate so I thought I am fine - not really. After one hour getting the seat number and when the flight started the boarding process they called me again and told me that they can't handle Alaska passengers any more because there are not enough seats.

I had to call the reservation again to change the flight. And most of the flights are full as expected, including AS1024, but the reservation line was able to put me on UA213. But when checking in I was told the flight is full as well. I thought I would be bumped again so I came back to the AS counters, but they told me that UA and AS are doing things differently than DL so as long as I had the boarding pass it will work out. And it was correct that I finally board the flight.

I still don't get that how DL could bump me last minute even after the seat is assigned. Are the irrop passengers treated differently? Shouldn't this be counted as idb after getting the seat assigned? And how is AS/UA different from DL on this? And it is of no surprise no one knows where my baggage is after all these mess.