FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DL 2531 (BOS-LAX) 12/3 - what a disaster!
Old Dec 5, 2019, 1:43 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ss278
A319/320/321 pilots can and do fly any of the models, they are not exclusive. Similarly 757/767 pilots fly both models, the exception being the 767-400 which at Delta is a separate pilot category. At United however 757/767-300/400 models are all flown under the same category.
Same pilot category means unified seniority list and same pay scales, right? So the interchangeable 757/767-300 pilots are probably paid somewhat less and a bit less experienced on average than the 767-400 pilots (which would be a smaller group because it's fewer planes in the group too, and perhaps restricted to a limited list of crew bases)?

To me, it seems strange that a narrow body and wide body aircraft would be the same category since they seem like such different aircraft in obvious ways, but of course they're both Boeing of roughly the same vintage (with a lot of variation in aircraft age), so I would expect the cockpit arrangements and automation to be similar, although I'm not convinced on the surface that the 757 and some 767s would behave similarly, especially in unusual/emergency situations.

Is the A350 its own category or is it grouped with at least some of the A330s?

I'm guessing that the 777 is its own category, just as I assume the 747 was (and those pilots would have been the top dogs).