FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WN accused of racism toward Muslim woman
View Single Post
Old Dec 4, 2019, 11:27 am
rickg523
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Correct. Having flown the airline for over 25 years, I do not believe that a Southwest FA would give the slightest crap whatsoever if two pax were willing to swap seats after quietly discussing it among themselves.

If some altercation did occur, I bet somebody who did not understand that WN has open seating was yelling about the separation of family members and was demanding special accommodation.
Well the article states that she asked a male passenger to swap seats, that he agreed, and the FA went off. That other passengers were wondering why the FA went off. That the FA sought support from coworkers, but that, in the end, the passenger wasn't offloaded.
But, sure, rather than comment on the story as reported, we could ignore the article and make up our own story, based on our own predispositions. I for one have myself seen FA's go off for no reason (and read many more such stories right here on FT) to find that unbelievable.
But WN has some history with Muslims being offloaded because "they made someone uncomfortable by their very presence," so, in the spirit of making up my own facts and calling it a comment, I'll say the headscarf had something to do with this.