FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Were The Early 80's Really That Much Better On UA Than Now?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 8:43 am
JimInOhio

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by findark
This is definitely the one thing that gets me about some of the nostalgia, especially for "when Y was a nice experience". If you want to pay regulated Economy prices and get a decent flight, you still can.. it's called today's premium cabin

That being said, one thing that really depresses me about flying these days is how almost no one thinks it's special or magical anymore. We don't need to keep dressing up in coat and tie, but it's just sad to see pax in a spectrum between a belligerent, aggressive "come at me, do your worst, United" attitude and curling up in a ball praying it will be over one minute faster. People dress down to fly, try to sleep every second of the way, and now there is a deep-rooted cultural expectation that the flying experience is one of the most miserable times of your life rather than the excitement of a special trip. Pax used to be happier, and in even in premium cabins it's a very transactional "let's get this done with quickly" experience (admittedly also in keeping with the ever-faster pace of modern life).
There were also $99 transcon R/Ts way back when on aircraft with noticeably greater seat pitch than 30". It's hard to say flying today is a bargain when looking at this particular comparison.