FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United on CRJ-550: "every traveler" can carry on a roller (not really if BE)
Old Dec 2, 2019, 1:51 pm
COSPILOT

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by oldnerdguy
A United Airlines executive made a statement via the media (Chicago Tribune) that every traveler on a CRJ-550 can carry on a roller bag. It turns out not to be true.

The Chicago Tribune article is titled "Welcome aboard United's new regional jet, with fewer seats, extra space for luggage - and a snack bar in first class".

United is touting this as a benefit to passengers, without mentioning that the new CRJ-550 configuration is not for passenger benefit but because of some contractual constraints (as mentioned elsewhere on FlyerTalk, thread "Will the CRJ550 be a failure?", posts 10, 21, 23). Worse, the unqualified "every traveler" statement turns out to be false.

I am posting this only to inform my fellow travelers. Contacting United resulted only in an all-talk-no-action response (included below). This is my first post and I hope it's appropriate for the scope of this forum.

My letter to United:

United's response:
You are most certainly the one that is off base in this case. Nothing about the CRJ-550 overrides the restrictions based on purchase of a Basic Economy ticket. When you purchased your ticket it was clearly spelled out. Don't ever expect a media event to cover every single detail. This is on you, not United Airlines.