FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA EXP vs. MVP 75K
View Single Post
Old Dec 1, 2019, 7:07 pm
safari ari

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by kyym

Main questions for the Alaskan regulars:

1) Do MVP 75K earn the extra 125% mileage bonus on ALL partners (including CX and EK) or only on a few like BA/Qantas/Hainan/Icelandair? Seems like this is only true for the last 4 below.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rtner-benefits

Or are these 4 partners the only one with lounge benefits, while the 125% bonus accrues to ALL partners including CX and EK? This would be a key reason to shift to AS Mileage Plan since I'd be earning 350% miles on EK/CX J class and up to 475% on BA. Without this, it would be only 225% on EK/CX, which is the same as with AA EXP.

2) How easy is it to get EK J class award inventory from LAX to India (especially MAA) for AS MVP 75K?

3) Is CX J award inventory the same as for OW partners like AA or better/worse?

4) How easy is it to search for partner airline award inventory on AS?

Anything else I am missing? Would you recommend the switch? I am far from AA MM (having only matched to EXP 5 years ago, and in any case AA MM only provides lifetime OW Ruby status, which is worth a lot less than UA MM which provides lifetime *G) and so happy to let that go.

Thanks so much!
1) All partners.

2) Easy? Depends when you're looking to go and how flexible/far in advance you look for availability, this will be like any airline looking for partner award space. Looking in Oct 2020 I see multiple flights on SQ/EK/BA. But we don't know when EK will release inventory.

3) No, usually worse. OW and AS inventory are not the same since AS is not in OW.

4) Depends how savvy you are, overall it is simple if the airline is bookable with AS and they don't have the occasional partner booking issue. But airlines like CX are not bookable online so that is a PITA since you have to call and have no clue if it is available to AS awards.

Your last question is also comparing apples to oranges, outside of the published benefits AS elite status does very little (nothing) if traveling on the OW overlapping airlines, and considering you ask about J+ redemptions, class of service will already give you the same benefits and more from the ticket. I maintain status on both airlines because it fits when I need it to, but AS alone will not substitute OW status. Plus we don't know what AS's relationship will be with the other OW airlines in the next 5 years. (See AA relationship)