FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ba 217 lhr-iad cw
View Single Post
Old Nov 30, 2019, 8:40 pm
enviroian
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Ba 217 lhr-iad cw

Here are some observations from today’s 388 trip.

1. The aircraft was quiet and despite the size boarding was efficient. This was my first time on the airbus 380.
2. The flight crew were excellent. They came and asked me what I needed and were professional and attentive.
3. The seat. Well to be honest I found the lay flat seat very comfortable and liked that it was roomy around my shoulders. The length was fine and my 6’1” frame had no problem. The IFE content was also solid and the screen tilted down. There was a duffle bag of three sheets but I only used the blanket and pillow. I was very comfortable and slept for 3 hours.
I find the suite very private and with the privacy screen up its really your own private space. Much more private than AA’s seats even taking into account there is someone facing you. I found this initially awkward as I wasn’t sure who should hit the up screen button first.
4. Regrettably the food was so bad I left the flight famished. Starting with a no ice Diet Coke and some silly snack mix is where this downfall started. Why would BA not provide a proper ramkin of warmed nuts? Next was a choice of three starters and I chose the one I thought was a no brainer. What I received was a shallow bowl of lettuce with most of it browned. There was a little cup on the side of the wrong salad dressing. It looked like the remnants of someone else’s salad and was really pathetic. It was just lettuce. Next were three main choices. Steak, trout, or veggie curry. Lol. Not exactly good options. Knowing what I have read about the BA beef and not about to have trout I opted for the veggie curry. Sadly it was a shallow bowl of overcooked and crunchy rice with a few scattered veggies. A cold multi grain roll shaped in a muffin accompanied it. I took two bites and put both aside as they were inedible.
For desert I chose the cheese plate that had crackers that fell apart once you touched them.
The pre-arrival snack I had was the “sandwiches”. They were bite sized versions of shrimp, hummus, and roast beef and cheese. The only thing I ate was the roast beef the size of my finger. The rest was inedible.
5. Although it’s widely known that BA’s soft product is subpar I was really surprised it was that bad.
6. I thought the hard product compares to anything AA has, at least with this aircraft type.