FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amsterdam Renaissance (Netherlands) [Master Thread]
Old Nov 28, 2019, 11:51 pm
nldogbert

Originally Posted by twa777

However, my stay last month was pretty disappointing. The mattresses were worn out and uncomfortable, and my room smelled of cigarette smoke. And since the hotel was fully booked, they couldn't move me to another room. The explanation was that "it's Amsterdam" and that people smoke in rooms regardless of the rules, but that didn't cure the headache I got from the smoke.
There was nothing done to compensate you on this and you just accepted it? Not that I am saying we should take every opportunity to fleece, but for me this is one definite no no - as you mentioned yourself, getting a headache from it is certainly not nice. This is why for me when I feel/detect any hint of cigarette/pot/cigar leftover smell in a room - I will not accept anything but an alternative (even a downgrade if it comes to that) as it will just ruin my day.

Re: Service - Sadly, this is how some of the service sector in Amsterdam is these days - the city is just too crowded with tourists and therefore I guess this is the consequences of it. However in general most are still friendly and service oriented.

I also saw your comment on the lounge offerings (in the Marriott Amsterdam thread) - sadly this is the case these days - not only in Amsterdam, but also at these international chain properties in the Hague, Rotterdam, etc...getting Febo quality food is considered these days quite good, as I believe some might not even be up to that quality.

Cheers!