FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Big Cats, Fast Cars and a Stolen Phone: Southern Africa, Portugal and Brazil
Old Nov 27, 2019, 12:30 pm
swingaling

Programs: AA EXP
Victoria Falls

Victoria Falls
Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe

After checking out, I caught a ride to the Kazungula border with Zimbabwe. I departed Botswana and then proceeded a short way to the Zimbabwe immigration office. Once there, I applied for a KAZA visa, which gave me a combined Zimbabwe and Zambia visa for a single fee of $50 US. The immigration officer took my $50 US and processed the visa. He gave me back my passport, complete with KAZA visa, but didn't provide my change until I prompted him. Along with the change, he handed me a printed receipt. However, the receipt was for a standard Zimbabwe entry visa, which costs $30. Presumably, he just pocketed the difference for himself.

After completing immigration formalities, I met up with the Zimbabwean driver for the ride into Vic Falls town. The entire process took perhaps two hours, with at least 30 minutes spent waiting for others to arrive and complete entry formalities.

Kazungula Border

Kazungula Border

Kazungula Border

The driver dropped me across the street from the entrance to the falls and also located a fellow who would sell me a bunch of old Zim currency.

Billionaire

Then it was off to see the falls before catching a ride to my accommodation in Zambia. The falls entrance fee is $30 US and is payable in USD only, though I believe they accept credit cards as well.

Victoria Falls

Victoria Falls

Victoria Falls

Victoria Falls

Victoria Falls

Victoria Falls

Victoria Falls

Victoria Falls

Victoria Falls

Victoria Falls

Victoria Falls

Victoria Falls

Victoria Falls

Victoria Falls

Victoria Falls

Victoria Falls

Victoria Falls Panorama
Full Res Version Here

Due to the lack of rain, much of the falls had dried up completely. Additionally, areas around the top of the falls had turned from rain forest to dry tinder.

Victoria Falls

Victoria Falls

Victoria Falls Panorama
Full Resolution Version Here

Despite the low water levels, the falls were still quite impressive.

Victoria Falls

Rain forest at the top of the falls
Very cool to see a rain forest created by the mists and spray from the falls

Victoria Falls

Victoria Falls Panorama
Full Resolution Version Here

Victoria Falls Swimmers

It was also brutally hot atop the falls in the areas that didn't receive spray. The temp was 100F that day.

Scorched Grass

Almost Dry

Rain Forest Turned to Tinder

Waders

Dry Section of Victoria Falls

Another Dry Section of the Victoria Falls
Full Resolution Version Here (to get a sense of the scale)

Victoria Falls

I then walked from the falls to the Zimbabwe immigration checkpoint. My driver was waiting for me just on the other side and we proceeded to the Zambia checkpoint before venturing onward toward Livingstone. In Livingstone, he had to stop for gas, then I got a sim card at Zamtel, the only mobile shop open on a Sunday afternoon. The sim card registration process was a bit painful and the Zamtel service worked poorly outside the city. But it was very, very cheap. I think I spent maybe $3 US for the SIM card and around 1 GB of data.

Livingstone

Livingstone

Livingstone Shopping Mall

We then headed for Tongabezi.

Road to Tongabezi

Road to Tongabezi

Last edited by swingaling; Nov 27, 2019 at 12:45 pm