FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Project] Sunrise aircraft may be 77Ls ? [Confirmed: A350]
Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:30 pm
SQTraveller

Originally Posted by og
So there’s a rumour that QF may go for the 77L as an “interim” Sunrise aircraft. Isn’t this a step back to 20 yr old technology with a few tweeks to make it sound (eg wing tips, fuel tanks and seat blocking) ? If true, then I hope the Spin Department don’t blast us with “game changing” breaking news about this potential acquisition. Isn’t this just another example of “catch up” with the competitors ?
Generally I agree with your comments about going backwards in terms of technology. I would assume it's because of the costs involved. The 777 200 LR is an old plane so the development costs have (probably) already been paid off so I would imagine any on going revenue are essentially profits (speculation)
It is more than likely Boeing want to sell one of the new 777Xs for the real sunrise but because of the various delays can't get a plane to Qantas within their desired timeframe. This would then mean Airbus would be the default winner. So Boeing get around it by offering a very low cost 777-200LR to satisfy the economics of the route, with options to buy the 777Xs, when they become available
Again pure speculation on my part