FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Diners Club U.S. Ending Personal Cards Program?
Old Nov 26, 2019, 5:55 pm
saradon

Programs: ML
Question Diners Club U.S. Ending Personal Cards Program?

I just got off the phone with Diners Club U.S. (spoke to someone in the U.S.; I asked to be sure I was not speaking to the Canadian side of BMO/Harris) and she told me that they were just informed yesterday by e-mail that they will no longer be offering personal cards in the U.S. Diners Club U.S. will become like the U.K. apparently, and issue only corporate cards.

I can't say I am surprised -- they've had them suspended for what, over four years now? But it is disappointing. I am going on vacation and will be renting a car for four or five days and would have liked to have the primary car rental insurance, and it is a chip-and-pin primary card. I think only Chase Bank (sapphire preferred, reserve and the united airline affiliated cards) offers primary car rental in the U.S. on their credit cards now -- on cards that cost less than $400 or so per year that is.

Anyway, this is just one customer service representative, and just one data point, but I thought I would post what I found out not ten minutes ago. I hope this is helpful, though it is a bit disappointing, even though it was what I had long expected. I had the original diners club card a long time ago before Citibank basically ruined it through neglect.

I wish they would bring back the Discover Escape card. That was a decent value for a reasonable cost.

Sigh. At long last.

Last edited by saradon; Nov 26, 2019 at 5:57 pm Reason: correct misspelling