FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Big Cats, Fast Cars and a Stolen Phone: Southern Africa, Portugal and Brazil
Old Nov 26, 2019, 12:00 pm
swingaling

Programs: AA EXP
Airlink Economy Class: Johannesburg - Maseru

Airlink
Economy Class
SA8062: JNB-MSU (Johannesburg to Maseru)
6 Nov 2019
Embraer 135
ZS-SWN
Seat 2A
Departure: 3:00PM
Arrival: 4:00PM

Upon arrival at JNB, I had a very long walk to the transit area for my onward flight. First was a stop through immigration for a transit stamp in the passport, then onward to the ticket counters. I arrived 3hr prior to my flight and the Airlink counter was not yet open. After waiting around for a few minutes, I gave the automated check-in kiosk a shot and was able to get a boarding pass out of it. So I was saved having to wait around for the ticketing agents to show up.

Boarding pass in hand, I headed airside to the Bidvest lounge. Since I was traveling in coach, I used my Priority Pass to get into the lounge. Overall, it was a pretty decent contract lounge. I had a shower and relaxed waiting for my onward flight.

Glad I'm Not Flying on This

The Airlink flight was on a small plane, so boarding was from the bus gates. This area is not air conditioned, for whatever reason.

Bus Gates

Bus Gates

After a short wait, we boarded the bus to the plane. The flight was fairly full and it seemed mostly locals. Not many tourists, that's for sure.

ZS-SWN

ZS-SWN

Galley Equipment from Chautauqua Airlines

Galley Equipment from Chautauqua Airlines

Decent pitch, though seats were slightly narrow

Seat

Once in the air, the FA did a drink service and offered a choice of almonds or chips. Not too shabby for a 45 minute regional flight.

Coming into Lesotho, we passed some rain storms and the ride was a bit bumpy at times.

Lesotho Final

Lesotho Final

Lesotho Final

Lesotho Final

Lesotho Final

Lesotho Final

I was lucky enough to catch a shot of the lightning.

Lightning

Once we landed, it was a short walk to the terminal and I was the second person through immigration. I'd arranged for a transfer to the hotel because there are no taxis to be had at the airport. I also tried to get a SIM card and some Lesotho currency (as a souvenir), but both shops were closed.

I met the driver and then waited for the remaining passengers to clear immigration and collect their bags.

Airport Shuttle

Solar Array at Airport

MSU Terminal

Pretty Quiet

Another Lightning Shot