FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Big Cats, Fast Cars and a Stolen Phone: Southern Africa, Portugal and Brazil
Old Nov 26, 2019, 11:46 am
swingaling

Programs: AA EXP
British Airways Business Class: London - Johannesburg

British Airways
Business Class
BA57: LHR-JNB (London to Johannesburg)
5 Nov 2019
Airbus A380
G-XLEA
Seat 53A
Departure: 9:10PM
Arrival: 10:15AM+1

Once at Heathrow, I made my way to transit security and ultimately the lounge. Very few other pax on my flight were transiting; most headed to immigration instead. At the lounge, I grabbed a quick shower and relaxed briefly before it was time to go to the gate. Arriving at the C gates, I learned that the plane had a mechanical issue.

Apparently, a fairly typical occurrence for BA's A380 fleet. The plane had a problem with its water systems and required a repair. Ultimately, the repair took around 90 minutes, so we left roughly 90 minutes late. We'd make up some of that time en route, but we did land at JNB a bit late. Luckily, I had a large buffer at JNB, so I wasn't concerned.

Once boarded, I settled in and got ready to depart.

Face Off

Breakfast Card

Menu

Menu

Since I was still on East Coast time, I wanted to have some dinner before bed. I'd pre-ordered my meal some weeks previous, so I knew what was on offer.

Salad and a Fizzberry

Curries are usually a reliable choice, and this was no exception. The presentation wasn't terribly appealing, but it was tasty.

Veggie Curry

Apple and Cinnamon Sponge Cake

Overall, dinner was pretty good. After eating, I went to bed and slept for a solid 6 hours or so. Upon waking, it was nearly time for breakfast.

Fruit Plate and Yogurt

English Breakfast

The breakfast was good, but the English breakfast was very greasy. I'd have liked something a bit less heavy, like I'd had on the BOS flight.

Tiny Passage to Aisle

A380

Another perfectly acceptable flight with BA. Despite my criticisms of the seat, I usually do have a good flight with them.