FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Baggage Insurance
View Single Post
Old Nov 26, 2019, 11:37 am
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jsds
I spoke with my insurance agent; on my current policy, there is a moderatley low limit for these items. I will be looking into a scheduled personal property rider for coverage, and that can include while traveling.

But back to the original question: If it's possible, where would a baggage coverage policy, for the noted amount, be found?

-C
AA, for example, offers additional baggage insurance for a fee, but it appears that the coverage is limited to $5,000:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...imitations.jsp

I'm not sure why you think that checking baggage on an airplane is more secure than using a common carrier. Registered mail is probably the most secure way of sending anything across the country, but it tends to be slow.

If you check your baggage with an airline, TSA can open it for inspection. If they do, and fail to lock the case afterwards, it would be relatively easy for airport workers to pilfer items from the case.

Do these items have sentimental value, or would you be OK being reimbursed should they not arrive? If the latter, and assuming that you have the necessary receipts to prove value, I would use FedEx or UPS, select the delivery speed you want, and pay for the additional insurance. You can even request that the case be held at a FedEx or UPS location, if there won't be a secure place for you to receive the delivery.