FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HKG-HND F award availability?
View Single Post
Old Nov 26, 2019, 1:16 am
kevin.cash

Originally Posted by QRC3288
If you search, you'll find threads dedicated to it.

Nobody can really tell you if something is worth it or not. Since everyone has different amounts of miles and money, as well as what they value in life.

What we can tell you is what to expect. Although like I said above, you're going to get far more info searching instead of a drive by post here where you'll likely get a few responses. (There are hundreds of posts about HND service on other threads.)

In summary F class HND to HKG is better if you're looking for the "I don't fly F often/ever" experience. TO Tokyo is quite underwhelming catering wise; it's breakfast service, essentially longhaul J breakfast served in nice F cutlery and playing. Perfectly civilized if you regularly pay for F, but if you're looking to carefully redeem points on wow factor experiences, HKG to TYO in F is not it.

FROM Tokyo has the beautiful Kaiseki course, which is wow factor in looks. Although taste wise it is a far far cry from quality Japanese food, which is fair enough given I think it's prepped in Hong Kong and has been flying around in a metal tube at 35k feet all day. From Tokyo also has a proper F dinner course, and usually an F bling appetizer as well, like something with crab or lobster or meat. Plus it has the full wine and liquor selection, although Champagne is usually Deutz Blanc de Blanc instead of Krug, which I know is a big deal to folks who don't fly F much. (In practice I doubt many of them could figure out which is which blind, especially if they weren't told what brands were to be served beforehand.) But CX does stock all the other wine, which isn't saying a whole lot but they do include usually their second-tier bling Bordeaux. I can't recall if F bedding is on board or not; I've never tried to use it.

Inevitably the flight was way better back in the days 5+ years ago it was 747. But still good enough and very civilized. The best way to/from Tokyo for sure if the timings work for you. If you're searching, note fyi the F flights used to go to Narita 7+ years ago, and also CX used to offer F to Osaka, which was nearly identical service to the current one a day HND F offering.
Thanks for the great details.

I only have limited experience on CX & JL long haul F and do not know what to expect for short haul. You do have some good points for me. Thanks.