FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Category 6, no room service??
View Single Post
Old Nov 22, 2019, 9:51 am
JBord

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by arlflyer
It was a generalization based upon zero data. How do you know what the segment is? Do you have industry data? Yes, taking a common practice that is fairly prevalent and acceptable within business travel circles and calling it "fringe" behavior is tantamount to name calling - "fringes of society" does not have a positive connotation anywhere, except maybe some artistic circles which embrace the moniker.

No, you made a sweeping generalization and "supported" it using statements that all go "I, I, me, I". That's not really how one supports a statement about a population, but it's OK.
I've been a business traveler for 20+ years. It's never been prevalent to order room service for me or any of the hundreds of colleagues I've worked with. Yes, it happens, but there's no data that points to prevalence. In fact, if enough people were ordering room service, it would be a profit center for hotels rather than a net loss. There's plenty of data that supports the fact that hotels lose money -- it's because the revenue from these meals that cost twice what you'd pay in a restaurant doesn't cover the cost of the staffing. That can ONLY be the case if not enough people are utilizing room service. I've already said I'd be willing to change my description to "small segment" since the word fringe upsets you so much. So can we at least agree that it's a small segment of the population that uses room service when it's available?

I didn't use any I or Me statements in my original post. I suggested that room service food prices are low quality (opinion), over-priced (fact when compared to similar restaurants), have a limited menu (fact when compared to a delivery service), and often consumed in small hotel rooms at desks or tables (fact, when you recognize that suites with dining areas are a small percentage of hotel rooms).

So again, no name-calling and no attacks, yet that's what you accused me of because you disagreed with my perspective. I now apologize if I offended you by disagreeing with your opinion, and I'll move on.