FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)
Old Nov 22, 2019, 7:05 am
craz
Suspended

Originally Posted by bailey911
Been MSing for many years, lots of interesting experiences at the grocery store and Wally over the years, but yesterday deserves a special mention here

Was visiting a city in Florida, saw a neighborhood market and went in. Was getting one 799.12 MO. Machine ran out of paper. Yellow vest comes in and she's an "Academy Leader". Never seen one b4. She reloads the paper then tells the cashier 4 x 200 payments means I am using GCs to buy MOs and that is "structuring" She then proceeds to tell the cashier to be on the lookout for people who use GCs, then turns to me and says. "I am voiding this transaction. What you are doing is illegal. You are using GCs to buy our money orders to deposit them in your bank account to pay your credit card to get points and rewards. We know your game. That is illegal. It is called structuring. If I see you here again I will call the police" She then walked away.

I left the store, went to another wallys and got the MO but wow, just wow.
In most cases the person such as that AL was told what they said by someone else. All they really have to say is 'Sorry you cant use a GC to get an MO, according to our policy". But instead they play telephone where each person simply adds more to try and discourage the person from trying again

Had that the other day at a friendly suprmkt, was told its ca$h only, never saw that csr and had no choice walked out empty and came back later when a different shift was on and walked out with my MOs. But with that chain it is hit or miss where some stores allow only Ca$h and wont even take a bank DC, while others have to input the card being used to make sure its not a GC., once you know the story with each store its easier to deal with it,. like when I walk in and see a csr that I know Im walking out w/o anything, I simply turn around and walk right out. If I dont know the area then Id wait on the line only to be denied in the end

Its all a part of doing business in my mind