FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trying to get bumped compensation
View Single Post
Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:10 pm
flyerCO
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Paplover
In my history of looking for bumps, I doubt flights are oversold until they are selling full Y fares, usually even B means not oversold. So as Gig mentioned, to do this you would be buying high cost fares, if they are still selling tickets. Plus, even oversold flights often have no-shows and they don't need anyone. For short flights from outstations the initial offers are usually in the $200-$300 range. So you can balance the time involved, the high cost ticket, the probability of needing volunteers, whether you would be chosen if needed (someone else may have taken an OLC offer or kiosk offer before you arrive) and what the compensation would be. Note that the GA may not accept you driving to MSP and skipping the first flight and change the rest of your flights to accommodate the rebooked BRD departure. In that case even cancelling the BRD flight for a refund will not recover you original itinerary. Overall, it does not sound like a winning combination.
These would be separate tickets. OP is talking about buying BRD-MSP day before, volunteering, and if needed then driving to MSP for his MSP-wherever ticket.

OP, I don't believe DL will refund the BRD-MSP ticket if you were issued VDB compensation. (Or will void it if you ask for a refund)