FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Welsh Language line?
View Single Post
Old Nov 20, 2019, 4:00 pm
CCayley

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I have first hand experience of at least one person who wasn't. A few years ago I was interviewed by the BBC for the S4C programme Clwb Rygbi, and alongside me they also interviewed a prop from the Llŷn, same age as me. He could certainly speak English but not fluently, and he said to the producer he wouldn't dare do a TV interview in English, but was happy to do so in his native tongue.
An interesting post, but a number of points arise:

1. Is this a disclosure of yet another string to the CWS bow? Slaughterman, farmer, constant traveller and Welsh speaker too? What do you do in your spare time?;
2. Drawing conclusions on the back of a sample size of 1 prop may not be reliable: Research based on such a sample would probably conclude that humans are spherical killing machines with strength that belies their shape, but some of the props I know are barely fluent in their mother tongue, let alone any other...;
3. These days, people from around the world increasingly devote time and effort to learning English as a second language, no matter how difficult it may be for them. Is it particularly unreasonable to expect the residents of North Wales to do the same, at least to the point where they can book their holiday travel unaided?

I shall now duck in expectation of accusations of intolerance, sundry isms, etc. Hopefully a smiley face can protect me?