FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA staff travel standby: booking premium and basic standby on the same flight?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 6:27 am
lu_avs55

Originally Posted by cyphillm3
My view is that unless you are prepared/don't mind losing the cash, on any busy flight, just buy a normal standby. The BA staff travel site, regarding loads, even within 24 hours
of departure can be all over the place. You might have firm staff confirmed in Club, WT+ and WT, with some already upgraded, some to be upgraded at check-in, and some to be upgraded
at the gate.
Yep - that pretty much matches my observations - even up to the last minute it's kind of hard to determine what's what with any kind of certainty, hence you're really always risking what I'm going to call the Type 1 or Type 2 outcomes as outlined in my first post! But as a rule of thumb I've just come to the conclusion to not bother with premium standby on routes with a lot of confirmed staff (unless there's a huge surplus of premium seats beyond the no. of firm staff - then of course this doesn't really happen given our load factors). Not complaining as I appreciate I'm still very lucky to get the privilege but it's just frustrating that it could be so easily improved if we did partial refunds (I'm told other airlines do this for staff travel as well). But hey ho!

Thank you!