FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Welsh Language line?
View Single Post
Old Nov 20, 19, 1:42 am
BarneyMcGrew
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BAEC Gold. ihg Spire Elite. Hilton Honors Diamond. Radisson Gold
Thanks all.

As I said in my second post, I think it will have to be a Welsh speaking travel agent for him.

I would say he speaks Welsh at least 99% of the time. His village on Ynys Mon (Anglesey) is very Welsh orientated, with Welsh the usual language spoken. Even at the village primary school the children are taught bi-lingually.. To many Welsh people, English is a 'second language' though rather like we English get taught French or German etc. As he is of an older generation, he was taught purely in Welsh with no 'second language'. He has picked up a bit of English through contact, but since he retired and doesn't often go out of Bodedern (his village) he is not really 'current' in English.

I found it all very strange when I was first posted to RAF Valley, hence I took some free lessons in 'Conversational Welsh' which the Education Centre on the base were running at the time. Sadly, though using it so infrequently nowadays I have forgotten a lot of what I learned.

One myth I could dispel though, is the one that says if an Englishman goes into a Welsh pub, the locals all start speaking Welsh. I found it the other way round, particularly after I had learnt a few words in Welsh, they liked to try out their English (to varying degrees of success).

Having thought about it, it is a bit remiss that BA, a British airline, has a lot of other language translations on its UK website, but not Welsh (a British language after all).

Barney

Last edited by BarneyMcGrew; Nov 20, 19 at 2:02 am