FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help understanding conversation regrading discount code
Old Nov 19, 2019, 1:32 pm
Flying for Fun

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WaterGlobe99
Thanks for your response. I appreciate the explanation.

I suppose at this point, it comes down to semantics. I'd argue that NO itinerary is not a new itinerary. The absence of something is, by definition, not that thing. So therefore, the line about forfeiting "in cases where the modified itinerary does not qualify...." does not apply since there is (none) itinerary. I mean, she even says, "if you're only canceling, you will not have a modified itinerary."

Anyway, I know you didn't craft this language, so thank you for your response.
Only one discount can be used on an itinerary. If you have the ticket numbers issued via email to retrieve the value later and try to apply the funds to a new itinerary with another discount applied, the modified itinerary would be ineligible and the discount from the original itinerary would be forfeited.

A simple cancelation will forfeit the discount, a modification of the existing itinerary will not. She is correct in stating, "if you are only canceling, you will not have a modified itinerary for the discount code to qualify for." Receiving the ticket numbers to retrieve the value to apply to a future reservation will preserve the discount as long a the future modification is eligible. This allows you to modify your original itinerary at some point in the future. Change fees will apply unless you have a change/cancel fee waiver.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Nov 19, 2019 at 1:45 pm