FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do you care about welcome dessert and card?
Old Nov 19, 2019, 7:14 am
flyme2

I routinely get the personalized note at both Bonvoy and Hilton properties. The short notes are written by the GM's that I personally know, the longer ones are written by associates and signed by the GM. On occasion, I have received a printed letter with the GM's signature. Of course, I value the personalized ones, and will often keep them as a memento.
The welcome amenity, over the years, has largely gone from the savoury to the sweet. Not having much of a sweet tooth, I will either ask housekeeping to remove a fruit or sweets platter the following day, or just refuse it if it is delivered while I am present in the room. I explain it is due to dietary concerns so as not to offend. I recently had a weeklong stay at a German hotel where the GM, whom I personally know, would, every afternoon, send an elaborate plate laden with fruits, snacks, local specialties as well as cider. I finally had to tell him to stop, as I couldn't possibly consume any of it and still enjoy a healthy dinner. He laughed, saying I had candidly critiqued his EL's tea service, and so he wanted to augment the service for my benefit. Truthfully, I would prefer a local souvenir of sorts, rather than anything edible.