FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Disgusted with fellow Platinum Elites in Sydney
Old Nov 18, 2019, 6:13 pm
LearningToFly

Originally Posted by MrBizFlyer
So not too long ago, I stayed at the Sydney Harbour Marriott Circular Quay. I am sitting in the executive lounge enjoying a few beers because I was too tired to go out and eat dinner after a long flight. I sat there for a little over an hour and watch fellow platinum members come in and out. Each wave of "guests" comes in, hits the buffet and drink fridges, creates piles and piles of dirty dishes then proceed to walk out after they are done.

I must have seen at least 40 or so people come in and out while I was there and I didn't witness a single person leave any kind of gratuity for the staff. Some of the people in there were wearing Rolex watches and most were older white (and fat) Americans guzzling down the food and beverage. Honestly, I felt totally disgusted with these pampered elitist babies whining when the soup ran out or their drink didn't come fast enough.

There was a poor worker named Joaquin who kept hustling back and worth collecting dirty dishes, taking them to the back, bringing out special order drinks then working to refill the buffet then walking back around to collect more dishes. Before I left, I called him over, asked his name and told him he was the hardest working guy I've seen in a long time and handed him a $10 bill.

I wish Marriott would setup a tip jar in each of these lounges or at least post a sign that read, "Tips not required but appreciated."
I also wish these platinum elites that are getting FREE food and beverage (including alcohol) would stop being such embarrassing cheap skates!
I wish that we could be able to respect local culture, including tipping culture.