FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - After All These Years, Changing My One Bag For Three To Four Day Trips, Suggestions?
Old Nov 16, 2019, 12:45 pm
Climb14er

After All These Years, Changing My One Bag For Three To Four Day Trips, Suggestions?

OK folks, been on here for quite a few years and I'll share with you what I have carried and now looking for that one bag for the short to intermediate trips, plane and car. I'd like to go VERY light. but reliable. Lifetime guarantee, bulletproof design, do NOT want to be concerned about the bag failing me while on the road.

My carry bags for all these last ten plus years has been the Air Boss with Compression straps. Will be keeping this bag for longer trips, say two weeks in duration. Been carrying the Red Oxx Sunchaser for the shorter trips. Will keep this bag for trips to the hot springs, car camping, extra gear in addition to my climbing packs. DO NOT want to carry this anymore on the planes as when packed, the bag with the additional side pockets gets a fairly WIDE platform of a footprint. I LIKE BAGS A LITTLE STREAMLINED AND SLIMMER, if possible.

Here's what I've been looking seriously at...

1) Tom Bihn Western Flyer. Had the Tristar but sold it as I have the Airboss. Carry as my EDC the Co-Pilot in Ballistic. GREAT BAG, has replaced from day to day my Tumi Expandable Briefcase. I NO LONGER need to carry a Laptop! Just clothes, personal gear and running shoes, size 10.5D. Is the Western Flyer 'large' enough for three days to a week with running shoes, going light, casual?

2) Red Oxx Mini Boss. Like the bag but that laptop sleeve to me is a waste of space and design, it will get in the way. Why on earth is this bag only with that laptop sleeve? Goes up against the Western Flyer nicely though.

3) Tom Bihn Aeronaut 30. Looks like a nice design but to me, can grow large and cumbersome. Kind of a cross between a duffle and a carry on bag. Might have some potential?

4) GoRuck... I initially liked them but their price hike and now building overseas, that turned me off big time.

5) Slimmer duffels can work too, maybe the Tom Bihn 36 Road Buddy Duffel?

I know there are many other bags on the market but I look to U.S. manufacturers with bulletproof warranties and excellent workmanship for the next bag to buy. I would appreciate some thoughts if you have 'em. I recognize this has been a long post, but in all my years, it's THE FIRST ONE that I put to the forum. Appreciate!

Last edited by Climb14er; Nov 16, 2019 at 12:47 pm Reason: spelling