FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tea with milk please (BUT IT'S OOLONG TEA)
Old Nov 14, 2019, 4:43 am
LapLap
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelmad478
I was also going to mention the coffee confusion that can occur whenever one travels to a new place. In South America, it seems like every single country has a different terminology for a cup of coffee with milk in it. And don't get me started on Australia! Luckily for me, I stopped drinking caffeine in 2009 so now I don't have to concern myself with such matters
Have to say that I get really annoyed with coffee nomenclature. There seems to be a widespread assumption that in mastering the different names for coffee in your country or community that one is worldly and international. Which is rubbish. The terms that get used are a result of whichever coffee chain from that area that gained the biggest market share as well as the highest status.
It’s the sense of superiority by those who have been indoctrinated into the local terminology that theirs is the only acceptable way to categorise coffee that annoys me. Still, it gives international businesses such as Starbucks a chokehold on their clients; they can feel worldly and cosmopolitan in Milan or Istanbul without having to figure out how the Italians or Turks take their hot drinks.

With tea, most of the names used to describe it are consistent internationally. When you learn a word for tea it’s useful everywhere and for life, it’s not some localised fad term (I’m conveniently ignoring the boba and cheese tea subset).
So Assam, Ceylon and Darjeeling or (arguably most usefully) just “Black” are pretty much all that needs to be learnt for anyone wanting British style tea with milk.

EDIT TO ADD: Some “black” teas are sometimes called “red” tea. That shouldn’t be confusing (it’s a black tea that looks red when brewed, a style of tea popular in Europe - think Lipton), unfortunately, rooibos a caffeine free tisane also gets called red tea. This is frustrating, because rooibos isn’t tea. Obviously calling it tea gives rooibos/redbush sellers a bigger market share in places such as the U.K.

Last edited by LapLap; Nov 15, 2019 at 2:54 am