FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Stranded at ORD -- You'd think they would be prepared for this
Old Nov 11, 2019, 5:53 pm
scubadu

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior200
. . . no, we're now up to an eleven hour delay. The inbound equipment, supposedly ferrying from Boston, either (a) got diverted to Minneapolis, as American says, because of runway restrictions or (b) was the plane that showed up at our gate, exactly at the time predicted, but suddenly was redeployed for a flight to MIA instead. Just as our prior equipment was re-deployed for other service around 8 this morning.
Unfortunately, at this point, you likely can't really trust any estimated delay time. When this type of situation begins you are pretty much operating open loop at this point and sadly things tend to get worse long before they get better. Hate to say that, and probably not what you want to hear, but that has been my experience.

When this begins to occur I tend to start taking matters into my own hands and drive my own contingency planning (rent car, re-book on other airline where possible, declare "trip in vain" etc.) depending on the situation and my degrees of freedom.

Best of luck and safe travels.

Regards

Last edited by scubadu; Nov 11, 2019 at 6:41 pm Reason: grammar