FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}
Old Nov 10, 2019, 1:13 pm
fumje
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mcrw00
If I have a one-way itinerary with departures split across two days (eg ORD to LAX on day one, ~12 hour overnight layover in LA, then onward to Tokyo on day two), how does same-day change work?

Pending availability, would the SDC options available at T-24 of the ORD departure include flights leaving for Tokyo on day one. Would it be possible to eliminate the need to overnight?
Is this representative of your booked itinerary and desired change?

booked: 1800 ORD - 2045 LAX // 1030(+1) LAX - 1500(+2) NRT
desired: 1200 ORD - 1640(+1) NRT

If so, and if your booked flights do not have a fare break (i.e. it is fared CHI-TYO), then nominally yes, you can SDC that way. You would be allowed to do so as early as 1800(-1) ORD time.

However, I've stopped anymore trying to predict what the app offers. It might give you that option, but it might not. So it would behoove you to look at your 'take an earlier flight' options, and if you don't see what you want, do a revenue search for ORD-NRT to see if your fare class has inventory (and of course call if so).