FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CapeTown
Thread: CapeTown
View Single Post
Old Sep 1, 2004, 11:42 pm
carbonchaser

Programs: UA 1KMMGS, EK Skywards Silver, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by djohn125

My Problem: I can't find airfare anywhere near this cheap. Does anyone know how to get fares this cheap for roundtrip flights between SIN/BKK to South Africa in January. If possible I would prefer flights that would accrue United Miles.

Thanks for your help.
I'm pretty sure that it will be a LOT cheaper for you to route through Europe rather than Asia. Asia to South Africa is one of those long thin routes with very little competition - one flight a day for Singapore, Cathay, Malaysia and South Africa - maybe a bit more. On the other hand, there are probably 15-20 flights a day from London, Paris, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, etc. I just did a quick check and anywhere in Asia to South africa is running US$2500-3500, whereas out of London for early january was about $950. Also, your vouchers will make it to Europe for certain that time of year, whereas $600 is pretty borderline for getting out to Asia any time of year.

You also might want to consider flying to Joburg and taking one of the intra-SA discount carriers across - often Joburg is quite a bit cheaper to get to than CPT (again, more competition)