FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Blog: international partner ticket cancelled due to negative account balance
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:57 am
tom911
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Blog: international partner ticket cancelled due to negative account balance

The thing I find interesting here is that the traveler was not made aware of the ticket being "suspended" until he arrived at the counter in the Maldives for check-in for an Emirates flight. He had returned some merchandise around April that resulted in 9,000 miles being removed from his account and putting him in negative territory. Original ticketing was in March and travel in September. His position is that Alaska should have notified him of his ticket being "suspended" prior to date of travel.

Anyone here ever ran a negative balance and had their ticket suspended? Won't happen to me as I have a healthy account balance, but is it something that regularly happens with award tickets?

We had a confirmed award ticket with emirate booked through Alaska mile, they suspended our ticket but didn’t alert us until the day we travel saying we were short on mile and needed to purchase more mile before they unblock our reservation so we had no choice but bought a cash ticket since it was boarding time.

They said when I booked the ticket I had enough miles but after a month or so my Alaska credit card company deducted 9000 miles from my merchandise I returned .
https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/11/08/...t-at-check-in/