Old Nov 7, 19, 6:16 pm
thebakaronis

Programs: UA 1K
Tricks to achieve card spend limit to get PQD waiver

We normally use the Chase Sapphire card and use the United Explorer card solely to hit the $25K spend to get the PQD waiver. This year I'm in a bit of a bind. I'll qualify for Platinum only if I get the PQD waiver. There's a chance that we will not be able to hit the $25K spend on the Explorer card in the remaining time available this calendar year. I'd hate to go to ZERO status next year because of this. So one idea I had was to make some large purchases that we don't need over the holidays, register those expenses on our December statement and then return the items (unopened) to the store sometime in the second half of January (making use of extended return periods offered by many retailers). I know I'd be cheating the system here, but it hurts to think that I'll lose all my status just because we might be short of the spending threshold by $5K or so. The question is: would the return be flagged by United and my Platinum status for 2020 revoked for not achieve PQD waiver?

(PS: the alternative to avoid the PQD mess is for me to get a foreign address, which I can plausibly since my parents live in another country and I travel there frequently.)