Old Nov 7, 19, 2:05 pm
flyerCO
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
This looks like a T2 to T4 D-I connection, so check MCT to make sure it's legal. [I suspect it is.] Check aircraft type (RJ from the flight number) and watch flight status or flight aware to see whether it tends to use a real gate or not, and also whether it tends to be on time.

My best guess is that it is legal and also perfectly fine in that airports in the USA are likely to be empty on Turkey Day itself, especially in the afternoon. I'd try to get her an aisle seat in the front of the aircraft for the domestic connecting flight and tell her what to expect at JFK regarding procedures (DL JFK jitney AIRSIDE bus from T2 to T4, check MXP gate to know which T4 stop to use), stressing that she should NOT exit the security area.

Check rebooking options and give her a Plan B list of flight numbers and times. There should be an AZ nonstop leaving later in the evening, AZ (and maybe DL) to FCO followed by an AZ connection to either Milan airport, probably DL/KLM through AMS or DL/AF through CDG, but note that AZ or AF departures from JFK would require a landside transfer to T1 using the little train. Another option might be DL or VS to LHR, then AZ to MXP but this would require changing terminals at LHR (and probably entering the UK too).

BTW, nice gift to sister!
RJs normally land at far end of T4. They haven't normally landed at T2 since the T4 extension opened. Thus will likely be T4 to T4. AZ nonstop (if offered that day) would be best backup. After that DL/AZ to FCO and AZ onward. AF/KL would be next best and VS/LHR last. (No need to enter UK, just use connection bus between terminals)

Agree airport will be nearly empty on Thanksgiving day.