FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hong Kong Civil Unrest - Survival Guide Q&As (Flame Free)
Old Nov 7, 2019, 1:06 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
8. I heard that HKG has been affected by the unrest. Should I be worry if I plan to transit at HKG only?
Ans: It is entirely up to you.
Since the shut down on August 13, 2019, HKG has significantly tightened its security and heavily restricted its access. The High Court of Hong Kong has imposed an injunction against any non-legitimate use of the airport. In theory, there is no reason why you can't transit at HKG without issue.
However, keep in mind that airport/airline employees do not generally live/stay nearby. Their access may/can be impacted by the unrest, resulting a domino effect that eventually impact flight operations at HKG.
Ok, based on two recent transit only experiences I believe this text is stronger than needed. My proposal:
8. TRANSIT HKG at AIRPORT AIRSIDE:
Generally not an issue and all services, including shops and lounges, are operating normally while remaining airside. No additional security. No need to go landside.

There has been disruption in the past and it may happen again, but as of this writing there is no reason to avoid HKG for transit, while airside only.