FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Recommendations for semi-private island destination on points? (Bora Bora, Hawaii?)
Old Nov 7, 2019, 10:22 am
klockw243

Programs: UA 1K
Recommendations for semi-private island destination on points? (Bora Bora, Hawaii?)

Not sure if this is the correct place to post, but I'm in need of help/recommendations. I'm trying to cash-in my 120,000+ chase rewards points for a once-in-a-lifetime getaway for my wife and I. We never get away due to multiple special needs children at home, but I promised we would do something memorable for our 20th, so I've arranged care the third week of February, and can get us to Tahiti / Bora Bora or Hawaii with my United points, but I'm having trouble narrowing down options for a specific location or hotel. Can anyone help?
We're looking for something very quiet, relaxing and private... like a bungalow or tree house type of room (probably can't afford anything over-water though), and we love snorkeling so I'm trying to find a waterfront resort with calm, clear water. Not worried about fancy amenities and we really could care less about night life, restaurants, or nearby touristy stuff; we just want a quiet, but clean place to be alone for a week.
Anyhow, I had assumed I could find something in Bora Bora, but I'm realizing any resort with semi-private room options is going to be $600+ per night. Since my chase points say they're worth $1400, that's sadly only two nights. Are there cheeper islands or locations to consider (i.e. maybe a remote part of Hawaii?) or are there cheeper times to redeem points in Tahiti / Bora Bora in the off-season?