FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion
View Single Post
Old Nov 5, 19, 11:18 am
WHBM

Programs: BA
This time it's Hello from of all places the JAL lounge, the OneWorld partner, at Frankfurt airport, and as there's a JAL flight leaving at much the same time as mine to LCY it's quite busy. On my way back. Tomorrow it's Reading, then down to the West of England. On we go.

There's a pretty classy photo-collection in the entrance lobby here of 1960s JAL aircraft, including a Convair 880. The lounge steward called it a DC8. Now corrected …

I honestly can't say I'm impressed with Frankfurt airport, The airport train station has been closed for a couple of months for upgrading, there's a bus shuttle to an alternative station outside. The signage is very poor. Likewise the overall signage inside the terminals has all the classics of key signs facing blank walls, etc. There's a tracked shuttle transit between the two terminals which I had to use as colleague dropped off the cab first at the other terminal. it seems to have been installed with no regard at all for where its passengers might be heading to/from, or how to find it.

Just in case you think I am whinging, I've done this sort of stuff for a living for a long time.
I didn't drill down enough into B&CS to see that it was formed from Union Castle which I was aware of as a shipping line. Did BUA and the passenger ship service of B&CS run concurrently?
Union Castle was actually the last long distance passenger shipping line to serve the UK, and possibly one of the last in the world, They had the last ever traditional ocean lines (as opposed to cruise ship) built, in Glasgow (inevitably) in 1961 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Transvaal_Castle . Southampton to points towards South Africa ran well into the late 1970s, and many travelling between the two regarded it as part of their holiday. It shrank over time, eventually it was down to one ship. British United never got services between Britain and South Africa, though they served various other points in Africa.