FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - #2 on standby with a middle seat. 5 others got an aisle or window?
Old Nov 3, 2019, 2:21 pm
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CloneCones
Maybe I assumed wrong but I thought the standby acted similar to upgrade where most of the time the #1 on the list gets the best seat. Which in this case they did since they got a comfort plus.

But I was number 2 as a diamond and I got stuck in a middle in the back. While 5 others got aisle or window, obviously not sure of their status or fare class. None of them are exit so that rules that out.

Am I just ignorant to the standby rules?

This was a last minute booking on a crowded flight so I wasn't expecting really anything. Thankfully it's a short flight but still slightly disappointed in a middle...
Were you actually booked (confirmed) onto the flight or going standby? If you're confirmed, you should be eligible for upgrades to FC or "upgrades" to C+ if available. Otherwise, GAs just tend to assign seats in the easiest way possible, although you might have done better if you had asked nicely for a window or aisle, or a seat toward the front if possible. Of course another hypothesis is that those getting windows and aisles were non revs and the GA was looking out for his/her own.