View Single Post
Old Nov 3, 19, 2:16 am
mahme

Originally Posted by el_tigre View Post
We'll obviously never know for sure, but I have a feeling you still would not have been able to book accommodations at a Starwood property 18 months out even if they were not bought by Marriott. Every four and five star property in Tokyo has been blocked out for the Olympics and the earlier booking window would not have helped that.

At this point, no one knows how this will shake out. From what I have read, some of the contracts holding room blocks may have to release unsold inventory six months before the Games. If that's the case, we may start seeing opportunities at some Marriott properties as early as the beginning of the year. But I also wouldn't be surprised if availability didn't pop up until a month or even a couple of weeks before the start of the Games. Even then, I bet we only see premium rooms for sale as to eliminate possible points bookings, and available rooms will probably be nonrefundable and three to ten times above normal rates. That's just my guess, but we are already seeing something similar with the one "chain" hotel that has available inventory in the Hilton Tokyo Bay. They are currently offering nonrefundable multi-night reservations for almost 100,000 per night, and the location is less than ideal for the Olympics. My advice would be to continue to hold out and keep watching availability; as long as you aren't counting on using points, you will likely have opportunities to book a Marriott property at some point before the start of the Games.

thank you for your analysis. It makes sense and reassures me in my current holding strategyz