FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LAX-it - no Uber or Lyft pick-ups at terminals
Old Nov 3, 2019, 1:15 am
chrisl137
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just finished my first experience with the LAXit lot tonight - it went pretty smooth.

Arrived T6 and exited the jetway qt the end of T6 at 11:10pm. I was in my Lyft and on my way by 11:28, details below

Walking out to the curb, I checked prices for both Uber and Lyft. Both about $54 to home for a solo ride (that's about typical for my LAX to home ride), but Lyft had a shared option for half the price, so I picked it. When I've done that before and ended up with a solo ride, I tip back up to the solo fare. It told me to re-open the app when I got to the lot for instructions.

Getting out to the curb on the lower level of T6, the LAXit bus was parked right there with the doors open and already fairly full. The luggage rack was filled already, as were the seats, but there was room to stand without being crowded. There were a few other people standing who got on after me (the bus waited a few minutes to fill). The bus stayed in the dedicated lane and didn't make any other stops (i.e. no stop at T7) until the exit to head out the top of the horseshoe toward LAXit, but had to wait about a minute to cross traffic. Traffic was light getting into the lot, but there was a ton of activity visible in the lot. There were multiple people directing traffic at the intersection at the entrance/exit of the lot to manage where the cars cross the buses. There was no wait getting into the lot.

When I got off the bus, the app had already updated and matched me with a driver (leaving me a little confused) and there were a bunch of people directing passengers to the crosswalks and correct islands for pickup - they send you up the dropoff island 50 yards or so to cross to your pickup. When I got to the Lyft island and asked about the match, they sent me back to almost where I got off the bus (at the end of the taxi island) and said to call my driver and let him to know to use the taxi lane. The Lyft app was also directing me to the labels that matched the end of the taxi island (1A/1B, labeled for Opoli and UberXL, no Lyft signs) rather than the Lyft island. The driver was terribly confused, and said he'd call Lyft to verify, so I disconnected and went to wait, then sent him a text after I verified again. He did show up in the right place and I got aboard, and headed out. Everything from getting off the bus to getting into the Lyft took place in a span of about 5 minutes. We headed out of the lot without any traffic issues and I was on my way.

I was in the lot for so little time that I barely had time to really evaluate things overall other than a) there were a lot of people in vests with flashlights helping direct things, and they seemed to be giving out good information, and b) there were a ton of cabs lined up in the cab line. From the time I hit the terminal doors to the time I was in my ride is probably less than I've had in quite a long time flying into LAX.

They definitely need some better signage in the lot, but they might have been waiting to see how the traffic works well before committing to signs. Skyway rd, lower level headed out of the CTA into the LAXit lot has a bus-only lane (not sure if it did before) so there aren't cars mixing in with the buses to get into the lot from the CTA. There's still a lot of confusion for the drivers - my driver was confused by the instructions to take the taxi lane and I think was worried about getting ticketed, and he hadn't been given any information about shared rides (really all matched rides, probably) using the taxi lane instead of the brand-specific lanes. The driver did say it was a total disaster the first night, but didn't complain about it being bad any other times. The real test will be thanksgiving weekend.