FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here
Old Nov 2, 2019, 3:40 am
ankomonkey

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by rahman99000
I am contemplating a side trip to Phuket (HKT) after my travel to Dhaka (DAC) from Bangkok (BKK). When shopping for Economy class tickets on TG, I have the following options and prices:

Option 1: One single ticket (TG website): BKK-DAC-BKK-HKT-BKK (Lv. BKK on Jan 3, Lv. DAC on Jan 9, Lv. BKK on Jan 9, Lv. HKT on Jan 12); Total price = $1100.

Option 2: Two separate tickets (Google flights): (a) BKK-DAC-BKK (Lv. BKK on Jan 3, Lv. DAC on Jan 9); price = $355; (b) BKK-HKT-BKK (Lv. BKK on Jan 9, Lv. HKT on Jan 12); price=$80. Total price = $435.

Both options entail the same TG flights on wide-body aircraft (B777, B747). My bag is carry-on (fits narrow-body aircraft). I do not plan to check my bag unless it can be checked to HKT on Jan 9 (Option 2).

Two questions:

(1) I wonder if there is any risk to choosing Option 2, as it is less than half the price of Option 1. What are my options if the first part of Option 2 is delayed? Will I be able to take a later flight without penalty?

(2) The layover for the HKT flight on Jan 9 (both options) is 2 hr 15 min. Is this adequate? There are BKK-HKT TG flights with shorter layovers, but I opted for one with at least two hours of layover.

Thank you in advance.
Last year I booked HKT-BKK flights on TG on the expedia.co.th website as they were less than half the price offered on the Thai website. Everything was fine! On the same trip we had a 100 minute transit in BKK to transfer from a TG international flight (needed to go through immigration but not collect checked luggage and re-check) to a BKK-HKT flight. This was all booked on 1 ticket. We felt rushed as we had to walk very far within the airport and there was a delay between landing in BKK and doors opening so passengers could get off. We made our BKK-HKT flight with about 10 minutes before boarding.