FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changes to international (long haul) flights
Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:31 am
Oceanic814

Programs: SPG Gold, Le Club Platinum
Changes to international (long haul) flights

Hello,

I've done this a lot with national flights. Had mixed results and sometimes couldn't do it myself online and had to call the call centre.
No idea of root cause seemed to be a bit random.

Have never really tried to change international flights, anyone do this regularly have any wisdom for me.
I am flying business but have no Air NZ or Star Alliance status for most of my journey.

Some questions:

1. Just doing a straight online booking via AirNZ website it doesn't look like I can change fare type. Most of my fares will be Global Saver.
Assuming I need a manual booking via AirNZ to choose Global Flexi? Maybe not worth it and I should just pay booking change fees?

2. What's the real world experience of changing flights yourself online. Some of my flights involve partner airlines if that makes a difference too.
Can you usually change it yourself or do you end up having to call the call centre and fight about the service charge?

3. Permitted prior to departure. What's the real world there, can do it after boarding starts?

Thanks!