FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Grand Hyatt SFO REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
View Single Post
Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:41 pm
Maui4me1

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
They say that elites with lounge access get breakfast in the restaurant if they must leave early on weekends.

I saw some people being served items not on the lounge buffet and another group who entered the lounge at about 10 am and were offered/served breakfast.

Beyond that, the lounge staff graciously went to each table to inform people that the buffet food would be taken away soon. Unlike earlier reports in this thread, staff did not remove the food early at all and latecomers had a good selection.

Honor bar charges are $5 for house wine (Chardonnay or Cabernet, but I think I saw a rose in the refrigerator and one could surely request Merlot) in a very nice glass. The same wine is $44 per bottle on the room service menu or $22 for a half bottle in the fourth floor market next to the bar off the lobby. [The market is supposed to be 24/7 but I'm not sure that CA allows wine sales at all hours.] Tax is added to honor bar charges and IIRC the other choices were beer (selection of domestic, imported, and craft bottles and cans) for $5 and some cocktails for $7.

Despite the hotel being completely full, as a Glob on a cheap AAA rate, I was preassigned (this was obvious when I arrived but it didn't show on my reservation) a corner suite (but not on a top floor) with airplane views, including KE and CX aircraft that spent the evening parked outside of my window. Rates and availability looked good until close to arrival, so I wonder whether some rooms were filled at the last minute with refugees from the fires and power outages in Northern California. [The PG&E power outage maps looked like some of the airport hotels located farther away from SFO might have been in the blackout zones.]

My impression was that the hotel currently has lots and lots of staff, including lower level managers standing around in the lobby. I shared an elevator with three people in uniform (chefs and maintenance I think) who joked that they were brought in from elsewhere to help with the opening. I'm surprised to find this three weeks after the official opening as other new hotels (Hyatt brands in the USA) that I know have tended only to borrow experienced staff for the first week or less.
Yes, we had an early flight on Saturday morning so we were comped breakfast in the restaurant.